There are a lot of things to love about winter: the holidays, building snowmen, winter break and hot chocolate to name a few.
However, with all of the fun stuff, sometimes, the cold weather can mean being stuck indoors, which tends to lead to stir crazy kids. It can be hard to consistently find things to do with kids in Naperville all winter long. Well, Innovative Pediatric Dentistry is here to the rescue!
We’ve rounded up some of our favorite Naperville kids’ activities to help you keep the little ones entertained this winter.
DuPage Children’s Museum
301 N. Washington Street
Visiting the DuPage Children’s Museum is one of the best activities for kids in Naperville because it’s all about allowing children to learn through hands-on play. The museum focuses on science, art, math and the ways they intersect through fun, interactive exhibits. Coming January 19 through May 12 is Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, which brings themes from the show to life. Also, while you’re there, check out the PAC-MAN chair we donated to the museum! Snap a pic with it, post it and tag us (@innovativepediatricdentistry).
55 S. Main Street, Suite 230
In our high-tech world, exposure to STEAM education can have a huge positive impact on little ones. Codeverse makes it fun! The immersive coding studio for kids in Naperville was designed to get them excited about computer coding, regardless of their interests. They offer 75-minute classes for grades one through eight. They also happen to be our neighbor. If you mention you learned about Codeverse from Innovative Pediatric Dentistry, you’ll even get a discounted first visit!
Ball Factory Indoor Play & Café
Ball Factory is designed for children six months to 12-years-old and everything is kid-sized. The idea behind it is that it’s a place for parents and children to play together making it ideal for interacting with your little one and having fun yourself. Attractions include a parent and tot area for babies, crawlers and toddlers, a four-level play structure, the imagination playground, the ball blaster area, slides, a café and more. Admission is fairly reasonably priced in comparison to some other indoor playgrounds and adults and teen siblings are free. You can usually find Groupons too. See the hours and prices here.
2639 Aurora Avenue
Funtopia stands out among Naperville indoor play places because there is really something for all ages. Kids, teens and parents can tackle the climbing walls or rope or ninja courses, while toddlers can hang out in the toddler area. You can often find Groupons for Funtopia, which can make it a pretty affordable excursion. Visit the website for hours and admission rates.
2012 Corporate Ln, Suite 120
Though Ultimate Ninjas Naperville has classes and activities, they also have open play times where kids can burn off all of that excess energy on obstacle courses and agility courses inspired by American Ninja Warrior. Open play is for kids ages six through 15. Check out the hours here. Or, if you want to get the whole family involved, attend Friday Family Ninja Nights from 6:30 to 8:30pm on Fridays and live out your American Ninja Warrior dreams!
523 S. Webster Street
If you’re looking for free things to do with kids in Naperville that are also educational, head to Naper Settlement. Residents receive free general admission with proof of residency. During the winter season, the inside of the Visitor Center is open Tuesday through Friday from 10am to 4pm. You can check out the changing exhibit galleries, the award-winning “Brushstrokes of the Past” exhibit and the tavern.
Pinkalicious the Musical
North Central College, Pfieffer Hall, 310 E. Benton Avenue
On February 2, 2019 at 10am, take in a showing of Pinkalicious the Musical. In the musical, Pinkalicious eats pink cupcake after pink cupcake even though her parents warn her not to. This causes her to catch Pinkititis, which turns her pink from head to toe. The musical is based on The New York Times best-selling children’s book and now animated show on PBS. Tickets range from $6 to $12 per person. Purchase tickets online.
Naperville Public Library
The library always has tons of free Naperville kids’ activities. In addition to regular storytimes (see the schedule here), there are special programs for children and teens. Be sure to note, registration is required for some of the activities. A few notable ones coming up include:
- Yoga for Kids – All Branches – Yoga for Kids is for children three-years-old and older will be held on Friday, December 28 from 2 to 2:30pm at the 95th Street Library, Monday, January 7 from 10 to 10:30am at Naper Boulevard Library and Tuesday, January 8 from 9:30 to 10am at Nichols Library.
- DIY Winter Snow Globes: Adult/Teen Craft – 95th Street Library – Make a snow globe on Thursday, January 3 from 11am to 12:30pm.
- Parachute Party – Nichols Library – On Wednesday, January 16 from 10:30 to 11:15am will learn teamwork during guided play with a 20-foot parachute.
- Totally Radical 80’s Time Travel Escape Room for Teens – Various Branches – Teens in grades six through 12 can take part in an 80s-themed Escape Room adventure on Thursday, January 3 from 3:30 to 4:30pm at Nichols Library or Thursday, February 21 from 3:30 to 4:30pm at 95th Street Library.
- Family Tent Night – 95th Street Library – Build a tent, have snacks and read stories on Thursday, January 3 from 6 to 7pm as a family.
- DuPage Children’s Museum Programs: Come Play With Us at the Library – 95th Street Library – On Thursday, January 10 from 9:30 to 11:30am, the DuPage Children’s Museum will bring portable versions of full-size exhibits to the Library!
- Teen “Paint & Sip” Art Party – Various Branches – Enjoy snacks and recreate a sample piece of art on Thursday, January 17 from 4:30 to 6:30pm at Naper Boulevard Library or Thursday, January 24 from 4:15 to 6:15pm at Nichols Library.
- Photo Taking & Editing Crash Course for Teens – 95th Street Library – Attendees will learn how to use basic editing software to perfect their photos on Tuesday, January 22 from 3:30 to 5pm.
- Curious Kids – Various Branches – Curious Kids will be held on Mondays, February 4 and 18 from 4:30 to 5pm at 95th Street Library, Tuesdays, February 5 and 19 from 3:15 to 3:45pm at Naper Boulevard Library and Tuesdays, February 5 and 19 from 4:15 to 4:45pm at Nichols Library. The program involves STEAM-focused activities for children kindergarten through second grade.
- No Sew Heart Pillows – Nichols Library –Teenagers will be celebrating Valentine’s Day by creating no-sew, heart-shaped pillows on Wednesday, February 13 from 4:30 to 5:30pm.
We hope you have a blast with these fun Naperville kids’ activities! If a dental checkup is also on your kiddo’s agenda, book a visit at Innovative Pediatric Dentistry this winter!